Friday, April 2, 2010

Fancy Abbie

Fancy Abbie

Fancy Abbie, Poet Extraordinaire and her helper!

Yesterday was "Be Your Favorite Book Character" Day at Crestwood. Abbie chose to be Fancy Nancy from Fancy Nancy, Poet Extraordinaire. We had originally wanted to be Nancy from Posh Puppy but she just got the Poet book this week so it was more fun, apparently. So, yesterday we got up and got to work on her ensemble. We teased her hair so it would look more like Nancy's and wrapped her in a toga just like Nancy is wearing on the cover of the book. (The toga was a white table cloth, I had to talk her out of using my good blanket that I keep on the couch, she was slightly disappointed until she saw that the tablecloth had some lace on it). We added a crown to her hair and beads and she looked beautiful! She wore her toga all day long, even on the playground. Great Day, Great School! (Note in the pictures that Brie is still in her PJ's. There wasn't time to get me decent for public view, Abbie all fancied up and Brie dressed. Nothing like an exciting morning in the Durham house!!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I always have great fun putting myself in Nancy's fancy shoes when I receive each of Jane O'Connor's manuscripts for a Fancy Nancy book. Our latest collaboration is no different.

Fancy Nancy: Poet Extraordinaire celebrates Poetry Month. Nancy's love of fancy, beautiful language makes her just the right guide for young children to explore and have fun with poetry.

When I first got the story, I started to imagine what kind of dress-up Nancy would pull together to wear for writing poetry -- something Shakespearean perhaps, or reaching back even further to Homer? Then came the footwear! Ever crafty, Nancy could easily assemble her version of ancient footwear with a pair of flip flops and some ribbon. Voila! The cover illustration started to take shape in my mind...


I will be signing Fancy Nancy: Poet Extraordinaire on Sunday, April 25 at 3:15pm at the LA Times Festival of Books, held at UCLA. Come by the Target Stage at 2:55 p.m. for a reading of our newest book and afterwards, I love to meet other Moms, sign books and greet your kids. Hope to see you there!


With best wishes,
Robin Preiss Glasser